Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Someone Wants To Put You In New Box

Well, they're at it again. There are now 7 more categories of consumers that you are supposed to identify with. According to this article in AdAge http://adage.com/article?article_id=119415, there are 7 new models of consumers.
Well, maybe I'm just not spending enough money these days but I can't seem to find one that even comes close to fitting me. How about you? Be honest. Do you aspire to be Al Gore or Johnny Knoxville? Gwen Stephani or Rachel Ray? After reading Harry Potter this weekend, if I can't be J.K. Rowling, I wouldn't mind being Neville Longbottom. There must be some brands out there who want to reach people who grow brave and strong, heroic yet humble.
As an advertising copywriter, market research can be my best friend. But lets not get carried away with it. Can you imagine the day when a client says, "I really like the concept but why don't we use the same type face as the Gore campaign?"